Office of General Counsel
The Office of General Counsel manages the legal affairs of CalHFA by providing counsel on day-to-day operations and strategic initiatives. The office also supports CalHFA’s lending and insurance programs.
- Assisted the financing staff with several bond transactions for multifamily projects and restructuring CalHFA’s debt.
- Assisted Single Family and Multifamily programs with first mortgage loan products, loss mitigation, MHSA loans and HUD Risk Share.
- Helped Asset Management with its successful application to become a HUD multifamily loan administrator.
- Reviewed and advised the Legislative Director on hundreds of bills introduced at the Capitol, and was critical in the drafting of legislation to enable the Agency to continue to offer down payment assistance loans along with FHA first loans and develop an energy-efficient grant program.
- Conducted training of Agency divisions on ethics, privacy, the Public Records Act and information security practices.
- Drafted and revised Agency services agreements and participated in the termination or restructuring of other significant agency contracts.
- Managed numerous lawsuits and bankruptcy issues connected with the Agency’s single family portfolio from the downturn in the economy.