stop animation play animation

Video thumb Video: Cal-EEM + Grant helps homebuyers with $24,000 of energy upgrades

CalHFA's Homebuyer Education

ONLINE: eHome's eight-hour Homebuyer Education and Counseling course is the only online course accepted by CalHFA. (fee: $99) Other online courses like Frameworks are not acceptable because they do not provide a one-hour, 1-on-1 counseling follow-up session.

IN-PERSON: face-to-face Homebuyer Education through NeighborWorks America or any HUD-Approved Housing Counseling Agency

Eligibility Questions?


Contact Us

Call Toll Free 877.9.CalHFA (877.922.5432)

Property Eligibility

Property Requirements

All types of properties, from single family homes to condominiums, throughout the entire state can be eligible for CalHFA financing. There is a limit on the sales price, however, and these limits vary depending on the county in which the home is being purchased.

Visit the Loan Programs tab to determine what types of properties are eligible according to each individual program.

In general these are property eligibility requirements for all CalHFA programs:

  • The home must be located in California.
  • The home must be your primary residence.
  • The sales price of the home must be less than the allowable sales price limits.
  • There is a five (5) acre maximum on the size of the property.
  • • The home must be zoned for Single Family Occupancy (not for 2-4 units)
  • The home must be a single family residence (detached).
    • Accessory Dwelling Unit (ADUs),Guest houses, granny units and in-law quarters may be eligible
  • The home can be a condominium or attached unit in a planned unit development (PUD). (Check with your lender for eligible condominiums.)
  • Doublewide (not singlewide) Manufactured homes are only allowed under CalHFA’s FHA Home Loan Program

Be sure to check the property eligibility section of each individual loan program for program-specific requirements.