CalHFA DHCS logo HCD logoTCAC logoDDS Logo

Section 811 Rental Assistance

In a collaborative partnership, the California Housing Finance Agency (CalHFA), Department of Health Care Services (DHCS), Department of Housing and Community Development (HCD), Department of Developmental Services (DDS) and California Tax Credit Allocation Committee (TCAC) have developed California's Section 811 Project Rental Assistance Demonstration Program. This demonstration program provides the state, in coordination with the Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) and local stakeholders, the opportunity to proactively implement system changes for Medicaid beneficiaries with disabilities, ages 18-61, who have resided in a long-term health care facility for at least 90 days and desire to return to community living, or are at risk of institutionalization pursuant to the terms of the applicable Notice of Funding availability.

Project sponsors will apply for long-term project-based rental assistance funding. Each project requesting rental assistance funds will have already received development financing from one of the State's housing agencies. A Rental Assistance Contract will be executed for the project based subsidy and the State will administer the subsidy. Through the program, it is estimated that 563 units will be reserved for extremely low-income people with disabilities. Project rental assistance tenants will have access to a full continuum of Medi-Cal funded services.

See the Fact Sheet for more information.

Finding Housing

If you are looking for housing and don't qualify for the Section 811 assistance described above, visit the California Department of Housing & Community Development (HCD) Affordable Housing Rental Directory and click on the county or counties where you may want to live, and you will get a list of apartment complexes with rents you may be able to afford. You will need to call each one to see who has vacancies.

Also, in your internet search box, if you type in the name of the housing department for the cities or counties where you want to live, they may also have a list of affordable apartments that include apartment complexes that are not on the list above.